Monday, July 2, 2012

PICU Day 8 ~ (July 2, 2012)


~Daddy's Girl~

Today did not bring any new information as far as a transfer to Boston is concerned, but we still made headway with some communication and hope to have some feedback from them by late tomorrow.  One of Noelle's current cardiologists contacted a specialist in Boston that has expertise in pulmonary hypertension combined with cardiac issues, and he should be contacting us personally with some information as soon as he has the opportunity to review Noelle's records {well, the summary of them anyway...the actual records literally fill several large 3 ring binders!!}  I spoke with this specialist's office today a couple of times and was very encouraged by their helpful attitudes and the time they spent with me on the phone.
~Playing with Daddy~
Whether or not we transfer there, the second opinion is still valuable to us; and we are also thankful for the open attitude of the medical staff here with this request of ours in pursuit of the best care for our daughter.  They have been extremely understanding, and most of them have stated that they would do the exact same thing if they were in our position.  Because we are still waiting on these answers, the heart catheterization that was scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed {possibly to Thursday}.  No one wants to put Noelle through an extra procedure if Boston takes one look at her records and feels that they should perform the heart catheterization themselves.  However, there are still many unanswered questions without the information from the heart catheterization and extra hurdles to cross without a confirmed diagnosis, and so our hope and prayer is that we can do it here and gain some more information before making the next big decision with her care.
~Got it!!~
In the meantime, Noelle had the best night {last night} and the best day today that she has had in almost two weeks.  She was definitely feeling more like her normal self, and it was encouraging to see her so happy throughout the entire day.  It seems the nitric oxide is helping her lungs once again, and the current plan is to leave her on it until she gets through this next procedure.  God has been incredibly gracious to us and sent us much encouragement, especially through these past couple of days as many friends from our church and nurses from FMC have visited us.  I truly miss being able to attend church and enjoy fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ; but we also know that this is for a season and do enjoy the times we have with others in the meantime.  It is an incredible encouragement to our hearts; and in a strange sense, it gives us a sense of normalcy amidst the ever changing situations we are currently experiencing.  Our hearts never cease to be grateful for your love and prayers for us~it is a comfort and joy to us amidst the storm.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

PICU Day 7 ~ (July 1, 2012)

Today was another day of waiting as we did not receive any answers yet in our request for information from Boston.  It appears it will take longer than we originally thought since some of her files are so large, they cannot be sent electronically but must be physically sent up to Boston.  We are seeking some information through a couple more avenues, but it is very possible that we will continue to proceed as originally planned with the heart catheterization on Tuesday and gain as much information as possible before making any further decisions.
~Listening to Aunt Donna singing sweet lullabies~
In the meantime, Noelle had a fairly good night last night with fewer desats than most other nights this week.  Today she was a social butterfly as several people from our church visited us {a huge encouragement to us!}, and her Aunt Donna from Forsyth came to see her and soak up some snuggles.  We have been so blessed to have the input of our FMC family through this process.  While Noelle no longer lives in the NICU, they still keep up with her and care for her as their own, and their advice holds a lot of weight with us as they love Noelle and have her best interest at heart.
~So comfy in such familiar arms~
We know that God will guide and direct us, showing us His desired path for us in this process; and if He chooses for us to make this transition to Boston, then He will pave the way and make things clear.  We will continue to keep everyone posted as we are informed of each new step in this process, and we truly appreciate your prayers for wisdom and guidance as we walk this path of so many unknowns {unknown to us, but thankfully not unknown to Him!!}.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

PICU Day 6 ~ (June 30, 2012)

Most of our time today was spent cuddling Noelle since she clearly was not feeling as well as she has the past couple of days.  She had a couple of periods in which she smiled and played with her toys, but those were very short lived.  Last night, she began to have her desatting episodes again, but this time they were not related to reflux; and as they became more frequent through the night, the medical team decided to put her back on the nitric oxide.  It is extremely concerning that she initially responds well to treatment but then declines once it is removed, and it points to signs that something is aggravating the pulmonary hypertension beyond what we can see at this point.  Over the past couple of days, many people have talked to us about Noelle's situation and several have advised us to get a second opinion or switch her care entirely to Boston Children's Hospital, which is #1 in the country for cardiac issues.  We had already requested that Boston be consulted after her heart catheterization on Tuesday; but with her setback today as well as some other strongly felt opinions from trusted medical friends/family, we moved up that request and spoke with the attending doctor tonight to get the process started as early as tomorrow morning.  At this point, we do not yet know if we will be transferring, but it is a strong possibility given the suspicions with her heart, the aggravation of the pulmonary hypertension, and the hint of heart surgery.  This decision is not without much prayer, much thought, and much advice from many others and does not come without a host of other ramifications for Noelle and our entire family.  Please pray for wisdom for us as this is weighing heavily on our hearts right now.  We desire the best possible care for Noelle, but ultimately that best care is wherever God chooses to place her.  That said, we cannot ignore the urgent and trusted advice from so many dear people who love Noelle and have her best interest in mind; and so we are moving forward and just trusting that God will clearly show us how, when, and where to proceed.  We do not know how long this process will take or what Boston will advise after reviewing her records, but we will continue to keep everyone posted as we are able.  Thank you so much for your love and support and your ever constant prayers.

Friday, June 29, 2012

PICU Day 5 ~(June 29, 2012)

Today was a fairly good day with a little less "trauma" for Noelle in that they only had to stick her twice in order to draw blood for labs (and thankfully, it did not clot today).  Her care team spent most of the day trying to figure out why she began to desat again last night (all through the night), but they had changed multiple factors with her feeds and oxygen levels, and I honestly believe it was all attributed to that.  People sometimes forget that they are still dealing with a micro preemie whose system is easily overloaded; but as each day passes, the PICU team gets more familiar with her and how she responds and is learning how to handle her various issues.  Her heart catheterization is scheduled for Tuesday, and we spent a large part of the day talking with several people, seeking advice on how to handle her medical care from here.  After much consideration and many suggestions, we will be gaining a second opinion if the results from this procedure point to a heart surgery.  We still are not sure whether or not we would move her care, and much of that would depend on exactly what issues she is facing; but we were encouraged to talk to so many today (some of whom have been through multiple heart issues with their children) and discover that we do have options, not only at Baptist but also in other areas of the country.  We are earnestly seeking God's guidance in this matter as it is intimidating at times to be responsible for such large health decisions for our little girl.  There is much more to consider than just a surgery; and things such as a transport, stress, and long term care also have to be weighed as we face upcoming decisions.  Our hope and prayer is that Tuesday's procedure will shed light on many questions and help us to be able to develop a care plan and make informed decisions for Noelle's future.  Tonight's post is a bit shorter as we are going to try and catch some rest, but we truly appreciate your continued prayers and hope to report an uneventful weekend with lots of smile pictures attached!!

Thursday, June 28, 2012

PICU Day 4 ~ (June 28, 2012)

~Saying "hello" to Daddy after his day at work~
We are settling into this place for the long haul as more findings today raised more questions, requiring more tests with Noelle's heart.  One of her cardiologists {who has followed her heart from before she was born} spent quite a bit of time doing yet another echocardiogram this morning so that she could compare images from yesterday as well as images from the past 7+ months of echocardiograms.  After much time and consulting with the cardiac team, they have determined that there are some definite abnormalities with Noelle's heart, but they are uncertain as to how this is affecting her or if it is impacting the current situation or not.  The right side of her heart is still not functioning although we have seen clinical improvement with her; but while several of her issues are common with pulmonary hypertension, she also has several things that are not typical and thus giving them more cause for concern {especially considering that there is no clue as to why she suddenly started doing poorly again}.  So they have decided to perform the heart catheterization next week and hopefully be able to make some determinations and a care plan from that point.  Worst case scenario {as of what we know right now}, she would require some type of heart surgery to fix the issues they believe they are seeing {and contrary to some misinformation floating out there, we are not anywhere close to facing a heart transplant at this juncture}.  Still, there is much we do not know, and so we just continue to wait and see what God unfolds for this precious little girl.  Today was a tough day in many respects, not so much because of this news but because of the daily things that begin to wear on you during hospital stays such as this.  The various tests, IV sticks, blood draws, and heel sticks take an extreme toll on her tiny body, especially when the blood for her labs constantly clots or a vein collapses and requires them to stick her multiple times during the day.  I hate the scared look in her eyes that wonders "what is coming next," and yet I am also thankful that she will not remember any of this.  There are certainly residual effects from all of it, but we have seen her reactions change during her time at home as she realizes that touch is positive in that environment; so I am encouraged that we can reach that point again with her after a lot of love and time at home once again.  Days like this are very hard on her physically, and they are emotionally draining for me.  However, when she is able to have a good nap and wake up acting as if she does not remember any of the things she experienced, the hard parts of the day just melt away.  That little smile does wonders for my heart, and she spent a long time tonight just talking, smiling, and playing with us before she settled into a deep sleep once again.  Of course we snapped all kinds of pictures, which I will share at the end of the post {but we did not even begin to capture all of the smiles she was sharing tonight!!}.  Some positive news from today was that they are nearly certain that the acid reflux was causing her desaturations yesterday, and the ng tube has nearly eliminated them today and made it possible to wean her oxygen flow down to a much lower amount {comparatively}.  As we have experienced many times through this journey, God continues to place us into situations with Noelle that do not provide immediate answers and cause us to constantly depend upon Him for strength and comfort.  He truly has carried us through these many months of unknowns, and we have confidence He will continue to do so through these coming weeks as we seek to make the best decisions for Noelle's health.  Please pray for wisdom for both us and especially the doctors and for rest and health for all of us, and we hope to report uneventful days through the weekend as they attempt to help Noelle rest and build as much strength as possible in preparation for this procedure early next week. While we cannot usually respond, we do read your many encouraging comments and notes of prayer for our little family; and we appreciate it more than we could every possibly communicate in words. Your fervent prayers before God's throne are a testament to the body of Christ and an encouragement to our hearts.  Thank you.

~Rested & Contented Little Girl~

~Sparkling Eyes~

~Precious Girl~

~This is our "normal" happy girl!!~

~Sweet smiles for Daddy~
~Hello, camera!!~

~Shall I pose for you?~

~Sitting up like a big girl (with help, of course!)~
~Excited about the goofy noises that Mommy makes~

~I can make my own goofy noises too!!~

~...and goofy faces...~

~....and priceless smiles.~

~Happy, Happy, Happy!!~

~We can make it through some more of these days, Mom!!~

~Tiny but brave little fighter~

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

PICU Day 3 ~ (June 27, 2012)


~Exhausted Little Girl~
While today was not an unsuccessful day, it was not a day of progression as we had hoped.  Noelle is still in the PICU; and at this point, we are unsure as to when she will transfer to the step down cardiac unit.  The attending physician for the PICU expects us to be here through the weekend, and the cardiologist seemed to indicate that we will be in the hospital for some time, even once we transfer to the step down unit.  There are still many questions right now and even more seem to be raised as we continue to go along in this process.  Another echocardiogram was performed today, and they spent approximately 3 hours scanning, evaluating, and taking multiple pictures for further review.  We should get a full report tomorrow, but the early report was that the right side of her heart is still not functioning well.  They are increasing her oral medication to help this, and hopefully she will respond accordingly.  A heart catheterization has been mentioned as the next possible procedure that will be done in order to measure the pulmonary hypertension level, so we are mentally preparing for her to be ventilated again for a short time as they will put her to sleep while they perform it.  She finally began to truly sleep again today, for which we are extremely grateful. Any time she has gone through highly stressful instances, she has been overstimulated to the point of extreme exhaustion.  Over the course of Monday afternoon through this morning, she had "slept" {it was not usually restful sleep} a total of approximately 12 hours; and for a baby that typically sleeps 16+ hours a day, it was beginning to take a huge toll.  However, along with that deep sleep today, she began experiencing some significant desaturations, and they are still trying to determine if these are due to reflux issues or if this is still a heart issue.  Consequently, they raised her oxygen flow once again {which they had weaned yesterday} and decided to insert an ng tube into her intestines to continue feeding her.  This should eliminate the reflux as they bypass the stomach and allow them to determine if the reflux is the actual issue or if they need to start her back on the milrinone medication for her heart function.  We are thankful that she can rest through the night and not be bothered with burning calories and losing sleep while eating her bottles and hope that this results in some marked improvement tomorrow, at least in her disposition.  You will notice in the pictures that her poor little fontanelle is quite sunken, and this is due to the diuretics they have been giving her to rid the fluid around her heart and in her lungs.  Thankfully, her lungs looked more clear on the x-ray today so they were able to decrease the dosage of the diuretics and hope her little head gets back to normal soon.
~Playing with her favorite toy~
I was encouraged to receive two smiles today...the first in a week!!  Those little smiles made my day, and she even spent a little time tonight playing with her favorite toy frog.  Those little moments of "normalcy" help tremendously as we wade through the serious issues.  Ultimately, through the numerous details and the host of unknowns, we continue to rest in God's hands and His sovereign plan as He reveals it moment by moment. Thank you for your fervent prayers for our sweet girl, and we look forward to what tomorrow will bring.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

PICU Days 1 & 2 in Photos with Update

~Settling into our PICU room late Monday evening~

~A very big bed for a very little person~

~Trying to get comfortable~

~Not too sure about all this!!~

~Nice, large room {we can stay with her at all times!!}~

~Finally being allowed to eat again this morning~
~Just finished the last bottle for today & starting to act more like herself~
Noelle had an encouraging day overall today, and they have already been able to take some great strides medically.  They turned off her nitric oxide and transferred her to the oral drug, and she seems to be tolerating it well so far.  They have also been able to wean her oxygen today, although she is still on a high flow rate and still has some distance to go before transferring back to the lower rate cannula she was using at home.  The medical team is hopeful that she will be able to transfer out of the PICU tomorrow into the step down cardiac unit, where they will continue to monitor her heart as she adjusts to the new medications before coming home.  We still do not yet know what we are facing long term, but no one seems to know at this point; and we will just have to wait and see how her body continues to respond to the current treatment.   We will update again tomorrow, hopefully with some good news of progress.  As always, thank you for your love and support and most of all, your prayers.